Swami's 36 Gems, today's reality and Mayan calendar
Light and Love
Swami has made the announcement to the humanity at Prasanthi Nilayam on 21
He has incarnated to establish Peace and fill the whole
world with Love so that all may now reach the goal anxiously striven for by
them in the aeons that have gone by.
With this announcement Swami offered to humanity 36 Gems. (Sathya Sai
Speaks. Vol. 2. "Thirty-six Gems for you," Chapter 24)*.
*(Spelling here as in the original text is. Some Gems
represented in form of tiny compilation).
1. Rectitude is the Royal Road to the Seat of God.
2. The person who conquers the world is a hero; but the hero of heroes is
who conquers him/herself. He/she is mighty and has prowess beyond compare.
3. Faith is the first step to the Grace of God.
4. Truth will lead you to the Deity untruth will lead you to the devil.
5. The aspirant must bear with patience all circumstances; that is the most
6. Fill every deed of yours with the vision of the Spirit, the outlook of
7. To grasp the significance of the Omnipresence of the Lord, believe that
there is no name which is not His; no body or thing which is not His.
8. A person who is steady in Wisdom stands closest in the company of the
9. Release from bondage to inborn impulses is the Real Liberation.
10. When a person has renounced the fruit, whatever activity he/she engages
in, that is Samaadhi (the last stage of yoga) itself.
11. When you try something above your capacity, that is conceit.
12. When you do something less than your capacity, remember, that is theft.
13. Full happiness consists of auspicious conversation, auspicious thoughts,
14. Recognise and accept your own faults and errors; do not attempt to
unveil others' faults and errors; this discipline helps the aspirant a great
15. Cool comforting conversation, that is the most congenial to the
aspirant, is the habit that will take the aspirant to the goal.
16. Whose property did the crow steal? Whom did the kokil (cuckoo) crown?
Understand this: if your tongue is sweet, your name gets honoured.
17. Achieve mastery over your tonic, you achieve thereby mastery over the
18. A person who obeys the dictates of the Lord is indeed at ease, he/she is
a Yogi; who disobeys the dictates of the Lord, he/she is the diseased, the
19. When heart is bound to heart, heat of argument finds no place.
20. Impure food makes the mind also, impure; the Sun of the inner glory of
dharma can never dawn within the impure Mind.
21. If you give up the contemplation of the Lord who is the treasure of
undiminishing Bliss and spend yourselves in the contemplation of the means
of achieving the victory of the promptings of your heart, you can never get
22. If you drop the weight of argument, and unfold the twin wings of faith
and action, you can float and fly happily in the deep blue sky of the
23. The craving for fruit will render all spiritual discipline fruitless.
24. Let the mind die, let buddhi (intellect) be destroyed, let the body
disintegrate, remember nothing can harm you, the indestructible Aathma.
25. Use a little common sense and you will know that the body is not your
own Self; it is liable to decline and death; that is the first step for Nara
(man) to become Naaraayana (God). The 'I' to which reference is made is not
the body, it is the Paraamathma (Supreme Self); trying to realise this is
26. Where the singing of the Name of the Lord fills the air with its
splendour and fragrance, that place indeed is Vaikuntha (the abode of
27. While the skin of cattle is useful for making footwear, the human skin
is not worth a speck of dust. But yet, that very human can ascend to the
height of dignity if only he/she carries out his/her holy rusk.
28. The world must be made the abode of love; first, cultivate love for
yourself; then, fill the village, where you are with love; later, spread the
love to the district and thus let it cover the entire world.
29. Whatever you feel is good if done by others to you, however you feel
they should honour you; do unto those others also and honour them likewise
30. When you do not know, confess that you do not know; if you pretend to
know and to cover up ignorance, it is very dangerous, especially to the
31. The idea of Brahman is beyond the capacity of those who have no control
over the agitations of the mind; the natural afflictions of the causative
world will cease only when the idea of Brahman is well established in the
mind; the delusion of the causative world must disappear if one must get the
Joy, Aathmic Bliss.
32. However great a hero you might be, whatever your prowess and intellect,
devoid of the Grace of God, you degenerate into a slave.
33. Whoever loves and serves all, Him, the Lord loves and honours.
34. The birds taking shelter for the night awake and fly away to the four
quarters at sunrise; so too, the wife and children, the fortune and wealth,
all fly away without as much as even a farewell notice. Establish yourselves
firmly in this fact; make immediate efforts to achieve the eternal, the
permanent, the unchanging.
35. Of what use is all the poring over tomes throughout the day and night,
of what use is all the fame achieved by means of scholarship? What you have
put into practice, that is the measure of your learning, your education.
Without that, you are but a learned titled fool.
36. Strive for the happiness, the joy of all others, as earnestly as you
strive for your own; strive for the peace of the world, as diligently as you
strive for your own. That is true divinity, that is true humanity.
Notes by Reet
These Gems, compiled by Swami 45 years ago, have given for us to notice
experience and practice the light of life. Swami's Gems are similarly alive
also today. They are timeless. Swami as asks us to cancel the delusions and
mind's fluctuations and to follow His directions in everyday life. He as
asks us to contemplate how to gift a smile to other persons and practice it.
Such quality of character is increasing own joy through the light from
hearts that other people reveal as gratitude.
Today the humanity experiences the Earth's increased volcanic and seismic
activity, extreme weather conditions, and different mysterious
electro-magnetic effects. Human experiences human-produced global warming.
The magnetic poles invert from time to time, possibly due to movements in
magma at the Earths core. The Earth's electromagnetic field shows tendency
to decrease. Why, science cannot completely explain.
Destruction the Earth is partly 'man-made' in the name of
consumer-society material progress. Humans are continuing damage the Earth
poisoning and destroying the eco-system and raping natural resources.
But there is nothing in the Universe that is not Spirit. The Source First
Cause is God existing as Unity in diversity through which The Source as
experiences and constantly is changing through diversity the infinite number
of forms. Consequently, life is in a constant state of evolution with
different kind of countless vibrations (mainly in the forms of
electromagnetic and magnetic fields i.e. powers with huge variety of
frequencies by science).
Today has appeared a new tendency to speak about "end of the world" in
different circles of New Age movement. It is due to the proximity of the
year 2012 with which many of these prophecies are associated.
Of course, anybody does not know when the physical world
will come to an end for organic life. Humans cannot avert the inevitable. Is
there a need in worrying about an imagined future based on different New-Age
We cannot prevent the inevitable, but we can control our own mind through
senses and keep emotions under control. Every moment should be spent with
positive thoughts and actions that are consistent with our individual
evolution. (Many negative thoughts are based on our perception of past
events. But remember a positive event from the past). Our experiences based
on our thoughts.
Let us live every single day as if it is our last, and
use those God-gifted powers with the maximum possible effect. Humans are
here as joyful creators of their own destiny. Such is general conclusion
from Swami's Gems.
Why the year 2012 is significant? The famous Mayan calendar signifies that
the winter solstice, December 21, 2012 is the end of the 13 baktun cycle
Mayan long-count calendar. The Mayan calendar has completed with supreme
accuracy from 3113 BCE to 2012. The Mayan 13-baktun cycle is around 5125
years. The end of the Mayan one time cycle is not "the end of the world."
However, why did the calendar abruptly end at that date? It is an idea that
2012 is the end of this era of material greed, avarice and destruction, to
give an opportunity to a more spiritually enlightened humankind who will
respect and will bow before the Divine Life and Unconditional Love. Swami's
Teaching has here a main role to play and the Golden Age by Swami will
become into reality through enlightenments of humans? mind. Such wave of
enlightenment will spread over the planet with the help of the Divine Will
and the Divine Vibrations.
Additional information for interested ones.
http://webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-mayan.html (Scientific site,
(include articles written by Carl Johan Calleman, Ph.D).
Namaste - Reet